About Me

My photo
With my MLIS degree complete and my first part-time real librarian position in high gear I find that my pleasure reading has gotten back on track. I figured now would be the time to get back to blogging. Let's hope I can keep on top of my books. So with my trusty Pomeranian dog "Spike" stiill by my side I will continue the challenge to read 1001 books.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 5, 2010

Well, I figured I was up and blogging again and then what happens? There is a lightning strike near my house and both my internet and phone (I have a bundled service) are out. My phone is still not running, but it looks like the internet is up again.

I am almost done with a 1001 book (THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY) but I had to return a couple to the library due to holds, so I barreled through this one today and was very glad I did!


THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman
Bod is not your ordinary boy. To begin with he lives in a graveyard, given 'full privilages' by the lady riding the white horse. When Bod (short for Nobody) was a baby, his parents were killed and he escaped by toddling off to the nearby graveyard. Once there he is 'met' by a lady, Mrs. Owens, who has resided within the graveyard ever since she died. Mrs. Owens, along with the rest of the graveyard's inhabitants know that they need to protect Bod from the man who killed his family and is still after him. The story covers all of Bod's childhood wherein he learns of all things graveyard (ghouls, witches, etc) and even attends school for a short time. He also meets a young girl and longs for life with those who breathe.

I have enjoyed Neil Gaiman ever since I laid my hands on the first issue of the SANDMAN comics. Gaiman draws you into his tales and makes you love things that you thought you would have and vice versa. This story is even better than CORALAINE and even though it is considered YA I highly reccomend it for all readers. If you do not already like Gaiman, I believe this book with make you a follower.

I am off to finish my 1001 book, but should be back soon. Until next time, GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD READING!

1 comment:

  1. I've never read Gaiman yet, but I so want to! I'm glad that you liked this one too, because it's been on my wishlist for a while.

    ReplyDelete