About Me

My photo
With my MLIS degree complete and my first part-time real librarian position in high gear I find that my pleasure reading has gotten back on track. I figured now would be the time to get back to blogging. Let's hope I can keep on top of my books. So with my trusty Pomeranian dog "Spike" stiill by my side I will continue the challenge to read 1001 books.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dewey Read-A-Thon Hour 13 & The Mid-Event Meme Survey

OK, so I just realized that other than posting on the Dewey Read-A-Thon website I am supposed to be posting here. So here goes what I have done so far (please note that I will provide full reviews of the books read tomorrow).


LAST NIGHT I SANG TO THE MONSTER by Benjamin Alire Saenz
This story about a young man learning to deal with the demons within and without was recommended to me by a librarian and well worth the time. 239 pgs.

and

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY by Oscar Wilde
The story of a man who has a portrait of himself which ages in place of him. This story brings up many ethical and sociological questions, I am glad to have finally read it through. 218 pgs.

This is one of the classics for my own 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die challenge at : http://roseanns1kbookchallenge.blogspot.com/ I am way behind on this blog, so I am glad to hopefully add a few during the read-a-thon.

THE PEARL DIVER by Jeff Talarigo
The story of a girl in 1940's Japan who gets leporasy, is disowned by her family, and is sent to a lepor colony on an island. 240 pgs.

and

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS by H.G. Wells
I had read this classic many years ago and had forgotten how frightening it actually is. Another of my 1001 down, YAY! 187 pgs.

So in 12 hours of reading I have completed 4 book and read a total of 884 pages.

I'll post an update in 6 hours.

1. What are you reading right now? I'm finishing some homework and then starting RUNNING THE BOOKS by Avi Steinberg
2. How many books have you read so far? Four
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
There really isn't one title I like more than the rest.
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
Just sending hubby out of the house, so he wouldn't bother me!5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
None really
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
Nope, it's working fine for me.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
Nothing, I am a Read-A-Thon pro. ;-)
9. Are you getting tired yet?
Since it's just after 5pm here in sunny San Diego, no.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
I think short books is the best advice I can give. That way you don't get bored in the middle, there's something new on the way.

Hour 22

Well, I started getting tired around hour 15 and my reading slowed considerably. I even found myself reading the same paragraph over and over again. I really should have followed my own advise and not picked up a longer book. So I turned on my trusty Keurig Coffee Maker and made a huge mug of Wake-Up Call coffee and it made we stop rereading stuff, but I am much slower still. I am still going to try to make it to the end. I finally finished book five.

RUNNING THE BOOKS by Ari Steinberg
A NF book about the life of a Prison Librarian. Pretty interesting. 399 pgs.

Total so far--

Five Books Read
21 hours, 20 minutes reading
1,283 pages

Hour 24
END OF EVENT MEME

Well it's 4:24am according to my computer and I just finished my sixth book. I picked a YA title from my TBR stack as I wanted something a little easier to finish with. I think this is going to be it for me as I don't think I can get much done in half an hour.

CLONE CODES by Patricia, Fredrick and John McKissack
Set in 2170 where clones and cyborgs are part of life. This story is about teenage Leanna who is running from a bounty hunter after her mother is caught for trying to treat clones as people. 1st novel of a trilogy. Pretty good. 177 pages.

So my final total are...

Book Read: 6

Time Spent Reading: 23 hours (taking off 25 minutes for sundry stuff. Note: I read while cooking and getting snacks--obsessive I know)

Total Pages Read: 1,460

I want to give a big THANK YOU to Trish and all her volunteers for hosting this Read-A-Thon and all of the Cheerleaders who kept us going!

It's been fun and now Good Night(Morning?) and Good Reading!!

6 comments:

  1. 1, 2, 3, 4
    Hope your book isn’t a bore
    5, 6, 7, 8
    And your readathon is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the late hour
    Make you dour,
    Just get up and stretch--
    You'll feel the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been doing great! I have The Pearl Diver in my stacks but haven't read it yet. It sounds fascinating, did you enjoy it?
    Good luck with the rest of the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and thanks for the cheers everyone! It's now hour 19 (I think) and I am getting a little blurry-eyed. I didn't listen to my own suggestiong and am reading a 400 page NF book right now, but it's pretty interesting. OK, I babbling.

    Tanabata--The Pear Diver is very good. It covers a part of history I was not very familiar with and the writing style is unique in that it looks at items found in the Leper Colony and tells the story through them. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you're tired
    And losin' the fire
    You'd rather be sleeping
    But keep on reading!!

    You're so close to the end!! And something light to read might help with the sleepies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTG! You did great! As soon as my head got fuzzy and I found myself re-reading the same paragraph, I knew it was time for me to throw in the towel! :)

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete