About Me

My photo
With my MLIS degree complete and my first part-time real librarian position in high gear I find that my pleasure reading has gotten back on track. I figured now would be the time to get back to blogging. Let's hope I can keep on top of my books. So with my trusty Pomeranian dog "Spike" stiill by my side I will continue the challenge to read 1001 books.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Two of my ARC reviews...finally. Dracula from a different perspective and a sweet dog's tale.


DRACULA IN LOVE by Karen Essex

This dark and brooding book tells the timeless tale of Dracula from the perspective of Mina. Most of the story actually doesn't involve Dracula at all, but looks at what Mina's life is like as a Victorian young lady. This actually made the story more interesting for me. From her horrid boarding school to how she must marry in order to be a proper, young lady the romantic viewpoint of most Gothic novels is shattered within this tale. Dracula is NOT the romantic figure, but is still enigmatic to young Mina.

This is not your average vampire, romance story for it looks at the underbelly of the tale and it is definitely not pretty at times. I would recommend this book as an example that romance stories are not always what they seem.

A big thank you goes out to Doubleday Books who sent me this ARC for review. Due to my late review, this book is now available for purchase online and at Bookstores everywhere. Note: I was not compensated in any way for my written review of the novel.


WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DOG MAKES by Dana Jennings

Let me begin by saying that I love, love, love this kind of book. You know what I mean, someone gets a pet who winds its way into its owner's hearts and changes their lives for the better (sappy I know). This book is another in the long line of stories about beloved pets who help their humans get through a tough situation.

This is the story of Bijou, who at 12 years of age helped both his father, Dana, and his brother, Owen get through some pretty serious illnesses with love and basic dog-ness. Using Zen-like wisdom (with every chapter being a lesson), Bijou teaches his people to live in the moment, the now of life, and most importantly, to not take everything so seriously.This is a short read, but one that will make you laugh, and look at life from a different perspective.


Another big thanks to Doubleday for giving me the opportunity to read the galley of this book which is currently available online and at your local book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment