About Me

My photo
With my MLIS degree complete and my first part-time real librarian position in high gear I find that my pleasure reading has gotten back on track. I figured now would be the time to get back to blogging. Let's hope I can keep on top of my books. So with my trusty Pomeranian dog "Spike" stiill by my side I will continue the challenge to read 1001 books.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17, 2010


JULIA'S KITCHEN WISDOM by Julia Child
More of a 'how-to' rather than an actual cookbook, this has been added to my 'must buy' list. Unlike her previous cookbooks, this tomb has the 21st Century cook in mind with time-saving hints and shortcuts.

Child covers everything from sauces to deserts and gives the reader hints that are easily translated to other recipes. This book is great for someone who has a good grasp of cooking and wants to spread their wings and try their own style using solid basic steps.

If you want to know how to do basically anything in the kitchen this book will help you along the way. Needless to say, I highly recommend this for any ones cookbook collection!

and


THE IMPERFECTIONISTS by Tom Rachman
This 'small story' novel covers the lives of 11 people involved in producing an newspaper in Italy. Spanning over five decades this novel gives a glimpse of the people, stories, and prejudices involved in creating a paper.

I am torn in my review, for while I liked the snippets of stories, there were some that I really wanted to go on when they ended so abruptly. I also had some real trouble with the female characters as there were few to like. I do not know if this was meant to show how women were and are treated in this profession, or if it was a reflection of the author's inability to write a 'nice' woman (this usually isn't a problem with me, but I found myself thinking "why isn't there a woman to like here" far too often as I read). I think the story would have been better if the author had focused on many half of the characters and given them more time on the page. I see that many review blurbs say that the book needed to be read twice to really get the full impact, I don't know if this is actually a good thing.

On the positive side, I did like many of the snippets and wanted them to go on. Also, I liked the way the author brought everything together in the end, showing how every one's lives ended up. I also liked the peek into a world that I know very little about.

I read this book as there was plenty of talk around the web and in book reviews about it being a 'must read'. I am usually happy when I read books that I wouldn't have read if not for the hype. Do you listen to this kind of talk and what is the percentage of good vs bad experiences?

Until next time, Good Night and Good Reading!

Oops! Forgot to mention--going to see Toy Story 3 tonight (this is not the norm for me, usually the movie has to have the name Potter in the title to get me out at midnight). I have read so many good reviews of this movie, just hope Pixar lives up to its reputation!

1 comment:

  1. I like to read a book when a hype is just beginning or after the hype has passed - never in the middle of it. This one sounds fascinating, but if it's a short book with too many characters, then it's hard to make any kind of connection with the book.

    ReplyDelete