About Me

My photo
With my MLIS degree complete and my first part-time real librarian position in high gear I find that my pleasure reading has gotten back on track. I figured now would be the time to get back to blogging. Let's hope I can keep on top of my books. So with my trusty Pomeranian dog "Spike" stiill by my side I will continue the challenge to read 1001 books.

Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14, 2010

Real quick post as I am still in a bit of pain--I'll expand on these later...


DAUGHTERS OF THE WITCHING HILL by Mary Sharrott
A historical novel concerning the lives of a family of 'witches' in Jacobean England circa the 1580's. I liked the fact that the author began with more traditional "language" and then slowly brought it to 21st Century style. This resulted in bringing the reader into the time, but then relaxed so that the story could come through. I would recommend this title to anyone interested in the infamous Witch Trials.

and


STONES INTO SCHOOLS by Greg Mortenson
This is a sequel to Mortenson's THREE CUPS OF TEA. He is now trying to build schools at the far reaches of Afghanistan's desert. I would have liked to have seen more about the students rather than the politics of actually building the schools. It was an interesting look into a culture that I know very little about. I love the fact that education is an important part of life, even in the most remote places. If you have read THREE CUPS OF TEA this is an OK sequel, if not read THREE CUPS in place of this one.

I'm working on "spiffing up" my site and may be adding and deleting in the next couple of weeks. What do you like to see on blogs (favorite sites, polls, links to books reviewed, etc.)?

Until next time, Good Afternoon and Good Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read Greg Mortenson's books, but they are on my list to read. I have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete