About Me

My photo
With my MLIS degree complete and my first part-time real librarian position in high gear I find that my pleasure reading has gotten back on track. I figured now would be the time to get back to blogging. Let's hope I can keep on top of my books. So with my trusty Pomeranian dog "Spike" stiill by my side I will continue the challenge to read 1001 books.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1, 2010


THE BLIND CONTESSA'S NEW MACHINE by Carey Wallace
The real premise of this romantic story is the fact that Carolina realizes she is going blind right before her wedding day and while most do not believe her, Turri does and creates a writing machine (typewriter) which leads to a hidden romance and a love triangle that lasts a lifetime.

I should begin by saying that I generally stay away from romances, unless there is some paranormal aspect present, but I really enjoyed this story. The romance, while ever-present, does not overpower the trials that Carolina faces at dealing with blindness. I think that losing my sight is my (and probably most readers’) greatest fear and Ms. Wallace has Carolina face it with dignity and grace. I also love the idea that someone would create a way for his beloved to communicate when she no longer could write. Wallace also adds a depth to the characters which is not often seen in romance fair—there are undertones of deeper psychological torment throughout that made this a book I did not want to put down. Although the end leaves a little to be desired, I would say this is a good summer read.

I should say this is a book I got an ARC of from my account on Book Browse (a great site if you don't already know about it--http://www.bookbrowse.com/).

Until next time--Good Night and Good Reading!

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds interesting! Haven't heard of Book Browse either, thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete